5 Major reasons to use docker containers
- Docker images are easily transferable to other machines which have docker available
- Containers are lightweight in resource use, so more containers can be run on the same hardware.
- Containers can be created and destroyed more quickly than virtual machine.
- Unlike virtual machines, containers don't need to support an entire operating system; only a core runtime is needed for the application. This allows rapid application deployment.
- Docker images have a version control stream, so successive versions of an image can be tracked and even reverted. Components reuse components from other layers, making container images very lightweight.